Wednesday, June 13, 2012

So, what if I get told no

Then I guess I need to re-examine how I invest my time rather than spend it.


  • It's about my kids at home. I minimize the days I stay late. I look for a place closer to home to work. 
  • It's about the kids on my roster. I'll dedicate myself to making myself an inspirational teacher. The kids will walk from my room saying, "Wow, that man knows how to teach." The kids will walk from my class feeling like it's possible to fall in love with a discipline or subject area. 
  • It's about supporting my colleagues. So I'll continue to offer advice, materials, perspective, wisdom, and courtesy. I will also work to establish a gossip-free culture.
So, I have to painfully say no to a few things next year. Perhaps I won't be organizing any after school clubs. Oops, there I go with "perhaps." 

Is it impossible for me to not give more than is required as a teacher? 

Do I ask for my letter of reference right away? 

Do I write a letter of resignation? 

Do I appeal to the assistant superintendent asking for a way I can go somewhere that I can exercise leadership? 

Seriously, what do I say no to next year? Anything that doesn't address one or more of the three bullet points above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment