Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Credo

I'm working on a code to guide my conduct at school . . .

I need to offer my students an experience in class that cannot be duplicated.  A class is something that cannot be simulated by someone else.  And when one misses a day in class, they will miss out on something that was unique and personalized to who was in the room that day. 

To these ends . . .

  • I will use video in only the most judicious and careful ways.  Why show the kids a film they've probably seen.  If I show a video resource, it will be something the students otherwise wouldn't have found on their own or have learned from the way they'll learn from it in my room.
  • My presentation of information will be centered on visuals, concepts, patterns, and quotes.  The day of the text-heavy slides are done.  Slides can be rich in content without being laden with words.  
  • I will personalize the experience for my students.  They will feel like the teacher likes them and knows them.  They will know the teacher cares about their growth.  
  • Content comes before skills.  The students have a unique opportunity to be in my classroom.  They get the chance to tap into my considerable wealth of knowledge about history.  They get the chance to engage with an adult who diligently keeps track of the news.  Every day they have the chance to know more that helps them make sense of their world.*
  • Skills have a place.  We practice skills while mastering content (rather than use content to master skills).  
  • I'm an important model.  From me kids can learn the integrity, honesty, and courtesy that poised adults demonstrate.  I show them the role passion plays in igniting the intellect and objectivity plays in making sense of our contemporary world.  I show them how one can find meaning in great works of literature, great works of film, and the great figures of our past.

*Is this particular credo arrogant?  Perhaps.  However, I think more of us in this profession need to start adopting an intellectual swagger to our time in the class.  

No comments:

Post a Comment